ALCID is a co-operative access scheme between the Academic Libraries in Ireland.
ALCID enables access to the collections of each of the participating libraries, without formality, on production of an ALCID membership card. This card is available to full-time academics, academic-related staff and registered students reading for postgraduate degrees both taught and research.
- ALCID cards DO NOT provide borrowing rights in other institutions.
Please check the UCC Library Catalogue and talk to the Subject Staff to ensure we do not have access to the material you require. Access to material not held in UCC Library can also be gained through Inter Library Loans.
The following institutions participate in the ALCID scheme:
Dublin City University
Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies
Dublin Institute of Technology
Mary Immaculate College
Mater Dei Library
National College of Art and Design
National University of Ireland, Galway
National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Royal Irish Academy
Saint Angela’s College, Sligo
Saint Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin
Trinity College Dublin
University College Dublin
University College Cork
University of Limerick
- Download the Application Form, print it out and fill it in.
- Return the completed form to the Q Floor Services Desk, Boole Library, UCC.
- Please ensure that you have your Staff/Student Card with you as Library Staff will nee to check this before issuing your ALCID Card.
- Your ALCID Card should be ready for collection at the Q Floor Services Desk, Boole Library within a week.
- ALCID Cards cannot be posted out as they must be signed in person.
This card is valid for the academic year or until the expiry date on your Library Account, if this is less than a year.
- If you are going on a placement please order your ALCID Card in advance as they cannot be posted out.
- Check the Catalogue of the Library you are visiting to ensure that they have the material you require. This can be done through the individual Library Catalogue (above).
- Your Library Account must be clear of fines and overdue items before an ALCID Card can be issued.
- Before you visit the Library of another institution we advise that you familiarise yourself with any local arrangements. These include, opening hours, rules and regulations, store/depository procedures, procedures for viewing theses, layout of the campus or any other relevant information.
- When you visit other University Libraries using your ALCID Card you will be subject to their rules and regulations, which may differ in detail from those of UCC Library. We recommend that you familiarise yourself with those regulations as any serious infringement of them may result in the imposition of penalties in your own University Library.
- You will be asked to show your UCC Library Card when you visit another member Library.
There is no borrowing permitted with your ALCID Card.
Last updated: 12 September 2013