Our Archival Collections > Peadar Ó Dubhda Collection

NAME: Peadar Ó Dubhda Collection            Item Description       Back to list of Collections


IDENTITY STATEMENT

Reference Code:

Title:

Dates:

Level of description:

Extent:
IE BL/SC/POD

Peadar Ó Dubhda Collection

1945 – [1968]

Item

4 items

CONTEXT:

IE BL/SC/POD is Peadar Ó Dubhda material held in UCC Library. The Collection consists of material removed from the Collection Ex Libris Ní Cheallacháin deposited in UCC Library by Cáit Ní Cheallacháin in November 1996. She was a grandniece of Ó Dubhda.

Peadar Ó Dubhda (1881 – 1971) was a teacher of Irish. He was born in Dundalk, Co. Louth in November 1881. He was educated in the local school until the age of 12 when he got his first job, delivering groceries for Messrs Leverett and Frye. He was self-taught in the Irish language and in music, mastering the violin, flute and piano. In 1899 he co-founded a branch of the Gaelic League in Dundalk. He became a múinteóir taistil (a travelling teacher) for the Gaelic League at £55 a year, travelling all over the country arranging classes. In 1914 he was examined by Pádraic Pearse in Connemara for a certificate to teach Irish, receiving only a temporary one for one year. In 1915, the Gaelic League recognising the work of Ó Dubhda and colleagues, held the first of many annual Árd Fheis in Omeath. In the 1930s he tried unsuccessfully to interest the Irish Catholic hierarchy in an Irish translation of the Douai Bible. He took on the work himself, completing it in 1953, presenting an illuminated manuscript of over 3,000 pages to the National Library. He died in Dundalk in May 1971. {Information taken from, A Dictionary of Irish Biography by Henry Boylan, published by Gill and Macmillan Ltd. 1978 (71710866 X), from UCC Library, TR920 BOYL}.

CONTENT AND STRUCTURE

The material consists of 3 copybooks with handwritten English content by [Ó Dubhda], and a letter received by Ó Dubhda in 1945. They are described in date order.

CONDITIONS OF ACCESS AND USE:

Access: Available by appointment with the Archives Service to holders of UCC Readers tickets.

Language: Irish and English

Finding Aid: Item Description (see below)

BL/SC/POD

1. 5 Nov. 1945
Handwritten letter in Irish from Liam Ó Míodhacháin, Comhar-Chumann na Rinne, Teo (Ring Co-operative Society, Ltd., Co. Waterford), Railway Station, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, to Peardar Ó Dubhda, Dún Dealgain. Having remembered that he promised during their meeting after the funeral of Eoin Mhic Neill to send on some of his booklets/pamphlets, he is fulfilling his promise. He has another publication with Talbot Press but he doesn’t have a copy to send on at the moment. He writes at the end that he drew the picture on the cover of “[Cleasa ar Chartaí]” but there wasn’t a demand for it, and it is on sale now for one shilling.  1p

2.  [1950s – 1968]

Mss copybooks handwritten in English with some Irish phrases by Peadar Ó Dubhda recounting his early years learning Irish and some of the characters he met “Our new teacher…was a loveable little character from the Cork Gaeltacht, Taeg Ó Shea, who was brimming-over with Canon O’ Laoirey {sic} Irish, and who got each and every class in the Coisde Ceanntar district to learn off and to produce his humorous short play ‘Taeg Saor’ – our first attempt at drama in Irish”. He continues with accounts of his attending Clochaneely Irish College, who he met there, and being offered the job of teaching Irish – a “travelling teacher”. Included throughout the story are the experiences of “Fiachra”. The story is autobiographical, but is incomplete, starting from chapter XXIX p.283 – p.482 over two copybooks, with the third beginning at p.551. There are three separate titles written on the outside of the first two copybooks – “Time Tickin’ Away”, “Boy Wanted”, and “Climbing the Ladder”. The third copybook finishes with later and older handwriting and a short piece at the back on the state of the world in 1968.

121pp (copybook 1)
81pp (copybook 2)
70pp (copybook 3)


Back to list of Collections


Author: Emer Twomey, Archivist, UCC Library, University College Cork

Last updated: 19 August 2014

More Information