History of the UCC Library
UCC’s Library collections of books and manuscripts have been built up since the opening of the University in 1849. The Boole Library opened in September 1983. It was built on the site of the old quarry which had served as a football pitch and gathering place for students for over one hundred years. Limestone taken from the quarry was used to construct the Main Quadrangle building and the other early buildings on the main campus. The Library is named after George Boole (1815-1864) who was the first Professor of Mathematics at Queen's College, Cork (now UCC) (1849-1854). He was born in Lincoln, England, in 1815, the son of a shoemaker and, although he had no formal education, opened his own school when he was 18. He developed a new branch of maths - invariant theory - and is probably best remembered today for his theory of logic, Boolean algebra, which represents a fundamental step in the design of computers.
In 1855 Boole married Mary Everest, a niece of the man after whom the world's highest mountain is named. In December 1864 Boole died from pneumonia at the tragically early age of 49, having walked four miles from Ballintemple to his lectures in a rainstorm.
George Boole Papers at UCC Library
A major construction project added an extension to the current building. The Library extension was designed by the architecture firm of Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, Abbott (Boston) and Wilson Architecture (Cork). The building extension added 7,700 sqm of new Library space and was officially opened in July 2007. The entire building complex is curtained by century old trees which provide a natural buffer between the Library and main University Quadrangle building.
The new space provides a more spacious, comfortable and attractive Library environment. UCC Library is the University’s teaching, learning and research information resource for students and staff. It also acts as a regional information service and as a repository of the cultural and historical heritage of the Munster region.
Boston Scientific Health Sciences Library opened on Tuesday 7th June 2005. It is situated within the Brookfield Health Sciences Complex which houses the Schools of Nursing & Midwifery, Clinical Therapies - Occupational Therapy and Speech and Hearing Sciences, and the first phase of a new Medical School.
The Library is on two floors and holds the main Nursing and Midwifery, Clinical Therapies, Epidemiology and Public Health, Pharmacy and General Practice collections for UCC.
Return to About Us
Last updated: 06 May 2015