Level of description:
Beamish & Crawford Estate Collection
1713 - 1900's
IE BL/BC/BC the Beamish and Crawford collection was originally accessed through Special Collections, UCC Library, under the call number U122. It was transferred to the Archives Service in 2009. The Beamish and Crawford brewery was founded in 1792 by William Beamish and William Crawford. They purchased an existing brewery (from Edward Allen) on a site in Cramer's lane that had been used for brewing since at least 1650 (and possibly as early as 1500). Beamish and Crawford's "Cork Porter Brewery" prospered, and by 1805 it had become the largest brewery in Ireland and the third largest in the United Kingdom as a whole. However the documents preserved here relate more to the personal rather than the business side of these families, being mainly accounts and rentals of various estates.
SCOPE & CONTENT:
Estate papers, mainly accounts, includes Crawford correspondence about family and financial matters (1780-1790); Captain Richard Pigott Beamish's rentals and accounts. (1874-1889); Correspondence received by Richard Pigott Bemish regarding financial affairs and family matters (1853-1866).
Also legal papers arising from the sale of the Stannard Incumbered Estate, c. 1850, involving lands in Co. Waterford and the Cork baronies of Fermoy and Barrymore, in which Crawford had an interest. It includes an account book , maps, valuations, and rentals. [1750-1900].
This collection has not been fully listed and has no formal system of arrangement. It has been box-listed only, by content.
CONDITIONS OF ACCESS AND USE:
Access: Available by appointment with the Archives Service to holders of UCC Readers tickets.
Finding Aid: Collection List (Click here for PDF)
Author: Emer Twomey, Archivist, UCC Library, University College Cork
Last updated: 08 March 2016